The Online Addictions Counselor Education Program (ACEP) Certificate was created to make the successful Certificate in ACEP more accessible nationally and internationally. With the recent approval of licensure for addictions professionals, the UMass Boston ACEP program, available both online and on the UMass Boston campus, adds great value to those seeking licensure and those seeking continuing education hours to maintain licensure.
The certificate program is divided into two parts. Part one consists of three courses, ending with the pre-practicum. Part two consists of two courses and, in addition, a practicum experience that is critical to professional development. The field-based practicum are supervised on site under the guidance of qualified addictions specialists and monitored by college faculty via conference calls and online chats.
The ACEP Certificate program is now being offered in Spanish as well!
- Faculty are career professionals strongly committed to sharing their knowledge and skills with students
- Qualify students for certification and licensing exams
- Leader in Alcohol and drug education
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Sample a Course
Click here for more information on the Online Addictions Counselor Education Program.
RESIDENTS OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, MARYLAND, AND MINNESOTA:
The University of Massachusetts Boston is currently not accepting students for online study who reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, or Minnesota, due to regulations in those states. Please contact your state's Board of Education for details. Click here for information on distance education authorization in other states.
Registration is administered through College of Advancing and Professional Studies at UMass Boston. Payment is due upon registration. Please see below for details.
The fee for most courses is $600. The fee for the "The Practice of Addictions Counseling" and the "Practicum" is $1,100. These fees do not include the cost of books.
Click here to browse our course listings.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
Did you know?
University of Massachusetts has earned several awards for its distance learning programs, faculty and technology including:
- University of Massachusetts Lowell's B.S. in Information Technology Ranked Among Top Affordable Online IT Degrees by Get Educated in 2011
- UMass Ranked Among Top 10 Best Colleges in Online Education in Communication & Public Relations Degrees, 2011 by The Best Colleges
- UMass ranks 19th highest-rated university in the world by the Times of London.
- UMass ranked 56th in the Times of London's Top 200
- UMassOnline, UMass Boston President's Special Achievement Award, Valerie C. Haven, Sloan-C 2010 Awards
- University of Massachusetts Ranked Among Top 28 Best Value in Online Education for Human Services & Psychology Professionals, 2009 by Get Educated
- Ranked Top 10 Online Degrees Colleges- September 2009 (Online Degree Reviews.com)
- UMassOnline Awarded Public Sector of the Year by Mass Technology Leadership Council , 2008
- Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program, UMass Lowell's Online Graduate Behavioral Intervention in Autism Program, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 'Excellence in Online Teaching' Award, Dr. Jeannette E. Riley, Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards, 2008
- 21st Century Best Practices Award, United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
- Program of Excellence, University Continuing Education Association (UCEA)-Journalism Certificate
- Excellence in Faculty Development, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Programming, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- Excellence in Online Teaching, Sloan-C Excellence Awards
- UMass Amherst Isenberg MBA, Top 10 national rankings, #4 Best Professors (2005, 2006, 2007 Princeton Review: Best Business Schools rankings)
- 4th in Primary Care Education, U.S. World Reports
- Excellence in Distance Teaching Education - United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA)
The Online Addictions Counselor Education Program is designed for those interested in acquiring the components necessary for becoming a licensed or certified addictions professional, those that are working - or interested in working - in the addictions field, and those who wish to gain knowledge and competencies necessary to become an effective addictions counselor. You do not need a college degree to participate in and benefit from the program.
Those wishing to enter the professional development sequence leading to licensing are required to interview with the Program Coordinator, Dianne Doyle Pita, prior to registering. Please call 617.287.7900, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an interview.
To apply, please click here.