Due to increasing requests from our online MPH students, the UMass Amherst School of Public Health and Health Sciences has developed the fully online Graduate Certificate in Global Health.
This 15 credit program allows current, online UMass Amherst MPH students, and working professionals to gain the following skills in the growing field of Global Health:
- Understand emerging health concerns including infectious diseases in a cross-cultural context.
- Describe their role in planning, implementing, and evaluating global health programs from the community, regional, and national perspective.
- Analyze the social, political, and medical, factors that influence the health of populations globally.
- Describe issues related to health equity and human rights in a global context.
- Describe the role of Non-governmental organizations and the management of health concerns in a global context.
- 100% online format
- Experienced online Faculty
- Flexibility and convenience to pursue the certificate on your time
- Option of a 200 hour in the field international global health practicum
- There are no prerequisites required for the certificate.
Learn more about this program:
To receive more information and connect with the program manager, please click on inquire now to the right.
Click here for more information on the online Graduate Certificate in Global Health.
RESIDENTS OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS AND OREGON:
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is presently not accepting applications or registrations for online courses, degrees or certificate programs from residents of Alabama, Arkansas and Oregon.
Registration is administered through UMass Amherst Continuing & Professional Education. Please see Fee Schedule below.
|Type of Fee||Amount|
|Fee per credit||$615|
|Registration Fee per semester||$47|
|Late Reg. Fee per semester*||$60|
|Returned Check Fee per semester**||$30|
|Total for course***||$1892 (615x3 credits = 1845 + 47 registration fee per semester)|
Click here to browse our course listings.
*applicable when you register after deadline; non-refundable unless course has been cancelled.
** applicable when checks returned unpaid
*** Courses can vary from one to six credits; this total represents a standard 3 credit course
There is also a one-time $300 Graduate Registrar's Service Fee, which is a one-time fee paid by all entering matriculated graduate students.
The School of Public Health and Health Sciences is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), the organization recognized by the US Department of Education to accredit public health schools.
The University of Massachusetts is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE).
The Graduate Certificate in Global Health is intended for:
- All prospective students with a Bachelor’s degree
- Current students in the UMass Amherst Online MPH-Public Health Practice degree program
You will need to submit all of the following.
2. 2 Letters of recommendation
3. Official transcripts for undergraduate and graduate education. For those with a foreign degree/s; the transcripts must be evaluated for equivalency.
4. Current Resume/CV
5. TOEFL may be required, please contact the department for information about this test. The GRE is not required for admissions into the certificate program.
For spring entrance: October 1st
For fall entrance: March 1st
Completion of the Graduate Certificate in Global Health can be done in one of two ways:
1. As a current graduate student with UMass Amherst. You can be pursuing your MPH, MS, or PHD degrees either online or campus based. In this case you must apply for the certificate.
2. As a new non-degree student. Should a graduate certificate student subsequently apply and be accepted to a degree-granting program, the 15 credits will transfer into the degree. Any application of such credit must be approved by the program/department. Certificate students must meet all eligibility and admission criteria for entrance into the full MPH program.
Prerequisites: Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA
Format: 100% online
Curriculum: There are 2 required Global Health Core courses and 3 electives. Students are allowed to choose which 3 electives and may choose to complete a 200 hour international practicum.
HPP 580 - Comparative Health Care Systems
HPP 583 - Global Health in the Developing World
HPP 590D - International Organizations and Population Health
HPP 590E - Emerging Infectious Diseases
HPP 590Q - Globalization and Health
HPP 601 - Application of Social and Behavioral Theory
HPP 614 - International Organizations, Population, and Development
HPP 622 - Program Evaluation in Health and Human Service Organizations
HPP690MC - Global Maternal and Child Health
HPP 698 - Global Health Practicum
HPP 704 - Health Program Planning
NUTR 578 - Nutritional Problems in the Developing World
Availability of financial aid varies depending on matriculation and course status. Please check with UMass Amherst's Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility.
For more information or if you have additional questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at: https://www.umass.edu/cpe/tuition/financial-aid or (413) 545-0801.